Preparing your Floating Dock for a Hurricane
If you are affected by hurricane season, the top priority is staying safe. Protecting your belongings is also key. Your floating dock is no exception. While hurricanes – and the damages the storms cause – can be unpredictable, you can take steps to ensure that your dock is as secure as possible.
- If possible, remove your floating dock. One of the benefits of floating docks is that they are not permanently affixed to the bottom of the body of water via pilings. Their design ensures that they can float and flux to accommodate changing water levels. This also means that quick removal is possible. If feasible, remove your floating dock completely and store it in a safe location. If this is not possible:
- Tie a rope to a fixed structure and secure your floating dock. If you cannot remove your dock, use a rope or other material to attach it to a stable, permanent structure. Most floating docks are designed to come off their attachment method during extreme high-water levels and tying a rope to a fixed structure like a tree or post will ensure your dock will not float away.
- Remove loose items. If you have kayaks, paddle boards, canoes, oars, chairs, and other gear on your dock, remove those items and store them in a safe location. Loose gear can easily become deadly projectiles in a storm.
- Take photos of your dock. If your dock is damaged (or causes damage to your property), photos can help facilitate a faster, smoother insurance claim process. Check with your Homeowners insurance as this should be covered.
- Don’t wait to learn how to prepare for a hurricane. If you’re not sure how to adjust your dock lines, how to check the lines anchoring your boat to your dock, how to use chafe gear, or how to do other key steps, ask for help! AccuDock is happy to answer your questions and walk you through the process of securing your floating dock in the event of a hurricane.
If you have any questions about how a hurricane can affect your dock or about what steps to take to make sure your dock is safe and secure, do not hesitate to contact the team at AccuDock. We’re here to help!